Wonder Blue Lilac
Dazzling blue hue
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun
- Height/Habit: 36 - 60 inches
- Zone: 3-7
- Flowering Date: Mid to late spring
We ship this item in Fall
Send me an email when this item is available
Wonder Blue Lilac
The sensational color of this gorgeous lilac will draw all eyes to your landscape. Mid to late spring sees lush panicles of lilac-blue florets cover this medium-sized shrub with delicate beauty and rich color. Though beneficial pollinators will flock to the area for a taste of Wonder Blue, deer won't bother with it. Makes a striking addition to sunlit borders and cutting gardens. When planted in groups, it works equally well as a flowering privacy screen. A moderate grower once established, it reaches 3-5' tall with a 3-4' spread. Zones 3-7. Syringa vulgaris 'Wonder Blue'
Prolific in bloom and lush in perfume, lilacs create a wonderful, whimsical atmosphere in any sunny garden spot. Flowers in shades of pink, white, purple, blue and even yellow cover the fast-growing shrubs in early to mid spring, bringing their sweet fragrance to the landscape. Hummingbirds and butterflies will be daily visitors to the garden when a pretty lilac is in residence. Easy to grow and maintain, too.
- Season Fall
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameSyringa vulgaris 'Wonder Blue'
- Ships As4" POT
- Sun ExposureFull Sun
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread36 - 60 inches
- Spacing36 - 60 inches
- Hardiness Zone3-7
- Flowering DateMid to late spring
- Planting InstructionsPlant at the same level it is growing at in the container, firm and water in well
- Winter CareNone
- Flower Color:purple
- Flower FormDouble flowers form full rounded panicles
- Foliage Type4" - 5" mid green, heart shaped leaves
- Soil RequirementWell drained garden soil enriched with humus
- PruningOnly to shape as needed after flowering
- Unique CharactersticsSyringa vulgaris, commonly known as common lilac, is an upright, multi-stemmed, suckering, deciduous shrub in the olive family that typically matures to 12-16' (20') tall with a spread to 8-12' (15') wide. It is native to open woodlands, rocky hills and scrubby areas in southeastern Europe, but has been widely cultivated throughout Europe (beginning in the late 1500s) and North America (brought over by colonists in the early 1600s). It is particularly noted for its mid to late spring (May) bloom of very fragrant, tubular, 4-lobed, lilac to purple flowers (each to 1/3" long) which bloom in large conical to narrow-pyramidal panicles (to 6-8" long). Flowers give way to loose clusters of smooth, brown, flattened, dehiscent seed capsules (each to 3/ 4" long) which persist into winter if not removed. Glaucous, opposite, pointed-ovate to heart-shaped leaves (2-5" long) are dark gray-green to blue green. No fall color. Bark is gray to gray-brown. 'Little Boy Blue' grows only 3-5' tall. Sky blue, sweetly fragrant, single flowers are arranged in dense, pyramidal, terminal clusters (panicles) which cover this shrub in late April to early May (St. Louis). Although sold in commerce as 'Little Boy Blue', this cultivar is synonymous with and registered as 'Wonder Blue'.
- Shipped4" POT
- Height/Habit36 - 60 inches
- Growth RateModerate once established, which takes approximately 3 - 4 weeks
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2017 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials, Bulbs & Potted Plants|
|1A-2B||9/5/2017 – 11/3/2017|
|3A-10B||9/5/2017 - 11/17/2017|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-2: 10/30/2017
Zones 3-10: 11/13/2017
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.