Excellent winter cover
- Sun Exposure: Full Shade, Partial Shade
- Height/Habit: 2 - 8 inches
- Zone: 4-8
- Flowering Date: Late spring to late summer
We ship this item in Fall
Send me an email when this item is available
- Season Fall
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameGaultheria procumbens
- Ships As4" POT
- Sun ExposureFull Shade, Partial Shade
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread10 - 12 inches
- Spacing10 - 12 inches
- Hardiness Zone4-8
- Flowering DateLate spring to late summer
- Planting InstructionsSet plant at same level it is growing at in the container. Firm soil and water thoroughly.
- Winter CareNo winter care needed.
- Flower Color:white
- Flower FormSmall pinkish-white, drooping, waxy, bell shaped. Similar to those of blueberries.
- Foliage TypeLustrous oval evergreen leaves.
- Soil RequirementPrefers acid, partially shaded, sufficiently moist soil. Will tolerate more sun if soil is kept moist.
- Watering RequirementWater regulary.
- PruningPrune back old wood in spring to encourage new growth.
- Additional InformationLeaves have been used in making tea.
- Unique CharactersticsMissouri Botanical Garden: Wintergreen is a rhizomatous, creeping, woody, evergreen groundcover of the heath family that is native to woodlands in Eastern North America (Newfoundland to Manitoba south to Minnesota, Tennessee, Virginia and in the mountains to Georgia and Alabama). Erect stems clad with glossy, leathery, elliptic to oblong, dark green leaves (to 2" long) rise up from the rhizomes to 3-6" tall. Plants will spread over time to form an attractive ground cover. Waxy, nodding, bell-shaped, white flowers (3/8" long) bloom from the leaf axils in early summer (June-July). Flowers give way to edible bright red berries (3/8" diameter) that persist through winter. Leaves acquire shades of purple in fall. Leaves and fruit have the aroma and taste of wintergreen. Berries are an excellent winter food for some wildlife such as pheasant, grouse, squirrels and deer. Foliage was once used to make oil of wintergreen which has astringent, stimulant and diuretic properties. Wintergreen has been a popular flavoring for chewing gum, candies and toothpaste. Dried leaves can be used to make an interesting tea (teaberry is a sometimes-used common name for this plant), but this usage is no longer recommended. Leaves were once made into poultices for arthritic pain and sore muscles. Fruits may be eaten raw or added to pastries and salads. Gaultheria honors Jean-Francois Gaultier (1708-1756) who was the king's physician in the French colony of Quebec from 1742 until 1756 plus an avid botanist and plant collector. Specific epithet refers to the plant's low-spreading habit.
- Shipped4" POT
- Height/Habit2 - 8 inches
- Growth RateModerate
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2017 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials, Bulbs & Potted Plants|
|1A-2B||9/5/2017 – 11/3/2017|
|3A-10B||9/5/2017 - 11/17/2017|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-2: 10/30/2017
Zones 3-10: 11/13/2017
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.