Native shrub with clusters of fluffy white flowers
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun, Partial Shade
- Height/Habit: 12 - 20 feet
- Zone: 4-9
- Flowering Date: Late spring / early summer.
We ship this item in Fall
Send me an email when this item is available
Low-maintenance shrub gets its name from the slightly fragrant, airy, creamy white, fringelike flower clusters that cover it in late spring to early summer. Its flowers are produced on the previous season's wood. Native to the southeastern United States, this small tree or shrub has a rounded habit and spear-shaped, dark green foliage that turns shades of yellow, brown and green in the fall. It prefers an open, airy location and can be grown in groups in borders or woodland areas. It can also be planted as a specimen plant near streams or in lawns. Its flowers are produced on the previous season's woods. The female plants produce fruits that are a food source for birds, and the male plants are said to flower more heavily. Because most fringe trees are propagated by seed, their sex is unknown until later. Tree band pot. Chionanthus virginicus
Shrub/Tree • Z4-9 • H12-24'xW12-24' • Late Spring to Early Summer • Sun-Part Shade
- Season Fall
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameChionanthus virginicus
- Ships AsTREE BAND POT
- Sun ExposureFull Sun, Partial Shade
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread12 - 20 feet
- Spacing12 - 18 feet
- Hardiness Zone4-9
- Flowering DateLate spring / early summer.
- Planting InstructionsPrefers an open, airy location. Disturb roots as little as possible when planting. Dig a hole large enough to accommodate roots without bending them, firm soil well and water in thoroughly.
- Winter CareNone, except to mulch the first winter to keep soil moist, if fall planted. Remove in early spring before growth starts.
- Flower Color:white
- Flower FormNumerous ribbon-like petals 3/4" - 1 1/4" long form a large airy pendulous panicle.
- Foliage TypeSimple, wide spear-shaped, 4 - 8" long and 2 - 4" wide. Medium to dark green foliage turns shades of yellow, brown, and green in fall.
- Soil RequirementFor best performance plant in a deep, humus enriched, moisture retentive acid soil.
- PruningPrune to shape and remove dead or broken limbs. Immediately after flowering
- Additional InformationFlowers produced on previous season's wood. Fruiting occurs on female plants only but the male trees are said to flower heavier. Most are propagated by seed so sex is unknown until later.
- Unique CharactersticsFlowers produced on previous season's wood. Fruiting occurs on female plants only but the male trees are said to flower heavier. Most are propagated by seed so sex is unknown until later.
- ShippedTREE BAND POT
- Height/Habit12 - 20 feet
- Growth RateVery slow, 4" - 6" a year
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2017 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials, Bulbs & Potted Plants|
|1A-2B||9/5/2017 – 11/3/2017|
|3A-10B||9/5/2017 - 11/17/2017|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-2: 10/30/2017
Zones 3-10: 11/13/2017
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.