Variegated Crown Imperial
Bold color and unusual form
- Height/Habit: 34 - 36 inches
- Zone: 5-9
- Flowering Date: Mid spring
We ship this item in Fall
Send me an email when this item is available
Variegated Crown Imperial
Bold color and unusual form make the Variegated Crown Imperial a standout in back borders. Glossy, variegated, twisting leaves emerge in early spring and are followed by a thick flower stalk that produces up to 8 drooping, bell-shaped flowers in orange, red or yellow. A cluster of pointed, upright, leaflike bracts form a crest above the flowers. Native from Turkey to Kashmir, Crown Imperial looks best when planted in groups in sunny mixed perennial flowerbeds. Plant the bulbs in well-drained soil. Deer tend to avoid. Fritillaria imperalis 'Aureomarginata'
Perennial • Z5-9 • H34-36"xW8-12" • Mid Spring • Sun
- Season Fall
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameFritillaria imperalis 'Aureomarginata'
- Ships AsBULB
- State RestrictionsAE AK FL GU HI PR
- Spread8 - 12 inches
- Spacing8 - 12 inches
- Hardiness Zone5-9
- Flowering DateMid spring
- Planting InstructionsPlant 8" deep and 8-12" apart. Good drainage is essential. Bulbs of all fritillaria are fragile and must be handled with care. It is important to keep bulbs protected and slightly moist. Do not let bulb dry out.
- Winter CareMulch +/- 2". Leave a layer of mulch on during flowering season.
- Flower Color:red, orange, yellow
- Flower FormBell-shaped flowers in clusters hang below a tuft of foliage.
- Foliage TypeLeaves at the base of the stem are either in whorls or alternate, upper part of stem is bare except for tuft at top above flowers.
- Soil RequirementWell drained but will tolerate a wide range of soils.
- PruningLet foliage die down naturally. Leaves provide nourishment for the bulbs to produce future growth and blooming.
- Unique CharactersticsLearn2grow: One of the largest and most distinctive fritillarias, crown imperial is a bulbous, spring-flowering perennial. The narrow, twisting, glossy leaves emerge in whorls in early spring and are soon followed by a thick, glossy, rapidly rising flower stalk that produces at its tip a ring of up to eight drooping bell-shaped orange flowers. Above this crown of flowers is a cluster of pointed upright leaf-like bracts, resembling a spiky crest. Native from Turkey to Kashmir and long cultivated (from the 1600s or earlier), the species now has several cultivars, with flower colors ranging from yellow through orange to red. All parts of the plant, including the bulb and the flowers, are malodorous or to some people objectionable. The plant goes dormant soon after flowering. This bulb does best in fertile, well-drained soil and full sun. Plant the bulb at a depth 2 to 3 times its width. This plant can often be temperamental, dwindling away after a few years. The crown imperial makes an eye-catching specimen in mixed borders. Remove the leaves and stems as they yellow.
- Height/Habit34 - 36 inches
- Growth RateModerate. Large bulbs often take a year to settle in after planting.
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2017 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials, Bulbs & Potted Plants|
|1A-2B||9/5/2017 – 11/3/2017|
|3A-10B||9/5/2017 - 11/17/2017|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-2: 10/30/2017
Zones 3-10: 11/13/2017
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.