Summer Sparkles® Baby's Breath
Densely branched and covered with flowers
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun
- Height/Habit: 20 - 28 inches
- Zone: 3-9
- Flowering Date: Late spring to midsummer
We ship this item in Spring
Send me an email when this item is available
Summer Sparkles® Baby's Breath
Perennial•Z3-9 •H20-28"x W30-40" •Late Spring to Midsummer •Sun
- Season Spring
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameGypsophila 'Summer Sparkles®' Pat. #19,318
- Ships As3" POT
- Sun ExposureFull Sun
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread30 - 40 inches
- Spacing30 - 40 inches
- Hardiness Zone3-9
- Flowering DateLate spring to midsummer
- Winter CareApply a winter mulch in northern areas, where plants may heave from the ground due to alternating freezing and thawing temperatures. Remove the mulch in early spring, before new growth emerges. Does not like excessive winter moisture.
- Flower Color:white
- Flower FormVery small, semi-double white flowers.
- Foliage TypeSmall, grey-green linear or lance-shaped leaves.
- Soil RequirementWell-drained, average garden soil.
- PruningDeadhead after the first bloom to encourage reblooming. After first flush of flowers.
- Additional InformationDoes not like an area with excessive winter moisture.
- Unique CharactersticsPerennial Resource: Baby's Breath has come a long way over the years, with breeders improving their habit, bloom time, and longevity in the garden. SUMMER SPARKLES® sets a new standard in taller Gypsophilas. Unlike most which are quite open in habit and go dormant in late summer, this new variety has a much more compact, refined looking form and looks great in the garden all season. It forms a uniform, very densely branched, rounded clump of grey-green foliage that becomes completely covered in flowers from late spring through midsummer. The white flowers are small, semi-double, and slightly fragrant. They are borne prolifically on all sides of the plant. Deadheading the first round of flowers will encourage the plant to rebloom. SUMMER SPARKLES® fits well into the middle of the flower border and also looks great in containers where it typically stays shorter. Baby's Breath has long been valued as a filler plant in perennial border gardens and also as a long-lasting cut flower. Its broad habit makes this plant the perfect cover up for dying bulb foliage or for perennials, such as poppies or bleeding hearts, that go dormant in summer. Baby's Breath also makes an excellent dried flower.
- Shipped3" POT
- Height/Habit20 - 28 inches
- Growth RateModerate
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2018 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials & Potted Plants|
|1A-4B||4/30/18 - 6/8/18|
|5A-6B||4/30/18 - 6/22/18|
|7A & 7B||4/2/18 - 6/22/18|
|8A & 8B||2/19/18 - 5/25/18|
|9A - 10B||2/12/18 - 5/25/18|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-4: June 4th, 2018
Zones 5-7: June 18th, 2018
Zones 8-10: May 21st, 2018
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.