Smoke Signal Bluestem
Adds year-round interest to the landscape
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun
- Height/Habit: 36 - 48 inches
- Zone: 3-9
We ship this item in Fall
Send me an email when this item is available
Smoke Signal Bluestem
This wonderfully versatile plant is the perfect choice for adding color, movement, and style to sunlit borders, focal points, woodland areas and privacy screens. Erect, broomlike clumps of brilliant blue-tinted blades grow 3-4' tall, providing summer color to the landscape. What's even better is that the foliage takes on a stunning scarlet-red hue in late summer and turns deep red-purple in fall with small tan seed heads covering the tops of the stems. Even in winter and spring, this perennial grass maintains its beauty and interest in the garden. Deer resistant. Zones 3-9. Schizachyrium scoparium 'Smoke Signal' PPAF
There is a reason why garden designers and landscapers put ornamental grasses in their plans. These vibrant, beautiful plants add texture, interest and variety to any garden or landscape. Plus, they are easy to grow and a snap to maintain. Many grass varieties feature feathery plumes or striking foliage that changes color with the seasons. One of the very best things about ornamental grasses is that they don't disappear after blooming has ended. They continue to evolve throughout the year, providing welcome color and architectural interest to the area. Don't miss out on these fabulous plants.
- Season Fall
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameSchizachyrium scoparium 'Smoke Signal' PPAF
- Ships As3" POT
- Sun ExposureFull Sun
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread18 - 24 inches
- Spacing18 - 24 inches
- Hardiness Zone3-9
- Planting InstructionsTolerant of a wide range of soils, but will not grow well in moist, fertile soils. Often associated with high magnesium levels in the soil.
- Foliage Typeerect, upright, broom-like clumps of slender leaves (1/4" wide) which are tinted blue
- Soil Requirementaverage, dry to medium wet, well-drained soil in full sun. Tolerates wide range of soil conditions
- Watering Requirementdrought tolerant
- PruningCut to the ground in late winter to early spring. Spring
- Unique CharactersticsThis selection of our native Schizachyrium has a beautifully refined habit and puts forth a strong show of color in late summer and fall. The glaucous blue-green foliage begins to take on scarlet red tones in late summer, turning a deeper red-purple through the fall. Tiny, tan seed heads appear in early fall on the top half of the stems. An improvement over older cultivars, this grass maintains its strictly upright habit through fall. Schizachyrium is a great choice if you are looking to restore an eroded site, or for a plant that will grow in hot, dry areas where other plants have a hard time surviving.
- Shipped3" POT
- Height/Habit36 - 48 inches
- Growth RateModerate
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2017 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials, Bulbs & Potted Plants|
|1A-2B||9/5/2017 – 11/3/2017|
|3A-10B||9/5/2017 - 11/17/2017|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-2: 10/30/2017
Zones 3-10: 11/13/2017
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.