Silver Bells™ Chocolate Vine
This 15- to 20-ft. vine not only smells like dessert, it also produces loads of lovely, lilac purple flowers from May through June. Hardy in Zones 4-9, Chocolate Vine bears unique, leathery leaves that grow in attractive clusters and are evergreen in milder climates. Can be used as a climber on arbors, trellises and fences or as a lush ground cover. Large, edible seedpods ripen in early autumn and taste like tapioca pudding! Prefers full sun to partial shade. Zones 4-10. Akebia quintata 'Silver Bells'
- Season Fall
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameAkebia quintata 'Silver Bells'
- Ships As4" LINER POT
- Sun ExposurePartial Shade
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread15 feet
- Spacing15 feet
- Hardiness Zone4-10
- Flowering DateMid to late spring
- Planting InstructionsBest in full sun or part shade, no special needs
- Winter Carenot needed
- Flower Color:red
- Flower FormSmall dark rose flowers with 3 petals, held in groups of 2 to 5 flowers. Separate male and female flowers on the same plant.
- Foliage TypeUnusual looking leathery leaves, evergreen in mild climates
- Soil Requirementnormal soil is fine, no special needs
- PruningPrune in Spring after flowering if needed After flowering in late Spring
- Additional InformationPlant produces male and female flowers on the same vine.
- Shipped4" LINER POT
- Height/Habit15 feet
- Growth RateModerate
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2017 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials, Bulbs & Potted Plants|
|1A-2B||9/5/2017 – 11/3/2017|
|3A-10B||9/5/2017 - 11/17/2017|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-2: 10/30/2017
Zones 3-10: 11/13/2017
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.