Scarlet Fire Dogwood
The darkest pink you've ever seen
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun, Partial Shade
- Height/Habit: 25 feet
- Zone: 5-9
- Flowering Date: Late spring to early summer
We ship this item in Spring
Scarlet Fire Dogwood
Tree •Z5-8 •H25'xW20' •Early Summer •Sun-Part Shade
- Season Spring
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameCornus kousa 'Scarlet Fire'
- Ships As2-3'' BAREROOT
- Sun ExposureFull Sun, Partial Shade
- State RestrictionsAE AK FL GU HI PR
- Spread20 feet
- Spacing20 feet
- Hardiness Zone5-9
- Flowering DateLate spring to early summer
- Planting InstructionsDig a hole large enough to accommodate the roots without bending them. Work soil around the roots, firm well and water thoroughly
- Winter CareA winter mulch is advantageous the first winter if fall planted
- Flower Color:pink
- Flower FormFlower bracts that are pointed at the tips with 4 petals.
- Foliage TypeGlossy green pinnate leaves turn red in fall
- Soil RequirementPrefers an acid, humus enriched soil that is well drained
- Unique CharactersticsRutgers: Rutgers is introducing our first Cornus kousa in 45 years of breeding. This new cultivar, 'Rutpink', is tradenamed Scarlet Fire™ dogwood, and is our darkest, most-consistently pink-bracted selection, with deep pink to fuchsia coloration at its peak.This new cultivar is the product of a long standing program of hybridization and selection of big-bracted dogwoods, in this instance the result of an open-pollination event of an unnamed pink-bracted Cornus kousa breeding selection held in the Rutgers University germplasm collection. We have used molecular tools to identify the male parent and will publish that work.The dramatic bracts glow pink from a distance unlike any other dogwood we have seen. Floriferous and precocious, the original tree flowered heavy at only 4 years old and budded plants can set many floral buds only after two growing seasons!The medium-to-large-size bracts are generally non-overlapping and pointed giving them a very distinct shape that along with their striking color sets this plant apart from other Kousa dogwoods in the landscape. Developing bracts size up early and can be purple in color, with more pointed shape vs. the more rounded mature bracts. Leaves are an attractive dark green with purple tinges in new growth, especially on young plants. The moderately vigorous tree is well branched and grows 3+ feet in first year and to 8 feet high in years 8-10.
- Shipped2-3'' BAREROOT
- Height/Habit25 feet
- Growth RateSlow to moderate
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2018 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Trees > 24"|
|1A-4B||4/2/18 - 6/22/18|
|5A||3/19/18 - 6/22/18|
|5B-6B||3/5/18 - 6/22/18|
|7A & 7B||2/12/18 - 6/22/18|
|8A-10B||2/12/18 - 5/25/18|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-7: June 18th, 2018
Zones 8-10: May 21st, 2018
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.