Rio Salsa Evergreen Rhododendron
Hot color in the spring
- Sun Exposure: Partial Shade
- Height/Habit: 4 - 5 feet
- Zone: 6-8
- Flowering Date: Mid spring to early summer
We ship this item in Fall
Send me an email when this item is available
Rio Salsa Evergreen Rhododendron
This very floriferous rhododendron produces trusses of funnel-shaped flowers that appear orange from a distance. The bright pink and yellow flowers really pop against the glossy, dark green foliage. Rio Salsa Rhododendron has a dense, upright, spreading habit and looks good when planted as a specimen plant in the garden or in groups. Its evergreen foliage adds year-round interest to the woodland or shaded garden. This rhododendron grows best in organically rich, acidic, well-drained soil in a partially shaded area. Avoid planting it in windy, exposed areas. Quart. Rhododendron 'Rio Salsa'
Shrub • Z6-8 • H4-5'xW5-6' • Mid Spring • Part Shade
- Season Fall
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameRhododendron 'Rio Salsa'
- Ships AsQUART
- Sun ExposurePartial Shade
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread5 - 6 feet
- Spacing5 - 6 feet
- Hardiness Zone6-8
- Flowering DateMid spring to early summer
- Planting InstructionsAvoid windy, exposed areas. Set plant at the same level it is growing at in the container, firm soil and water thoroughly. Apply mulch to retain moisture and protect the shallow roots.
- Winter CareMaintain mulch through the winter months. Never allow to dry out. Remove mulch in early spring before growth starts.
- Flower Color:yellow, pink
- Flower FormOpen, funnel-shaped flowers that bloom in trusses.
- Foliage TypeOblong, coarse, dark green, glossy, evergreen foliage. Grows in a dense, upright, spreading habit.
- Soil RequirementWell-drained, moisture retentive, organically rich, acidic soil.
- PruningPrune to shape and remove dead wood and broken branches. Deadhead flowers as they fade. After flowering.
- Unique CharactersticsRare Find Nursery: Tom Ahern cross of 'Rio' X ''September Song' with unusual color and extreme floriferousness! Bright pink and yellow flowers appear orange from a distance- up close, they're beautiful. Shiny dark green leaves on a compact shapely good grower. We all like it a lot.
- Height/Habit4 - 5 feet
- Growth RateModerate.
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2017 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials, Bulbs & Potted Plants|
|1A-2B||9/5/2017 – 11/3/2017|
|3A-10B||9/5/2017 - 11/17/2017|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-2: 10/30/2017
Zones 3-10: 11/13/2017
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.