Holden's Solar Flair Evergreen Rhododendron
Showy addition to the woodland garden
- Sun Exposure: Partial Shade
- Height/Habit: 4 feet
- Zone: 5-9
- Flowering Date: Mid spring to early summer
We ship this item in Spring
Holden's Solar Flair Evergreen Rhododendron
Clusters of funnel-shaped, true yellow flowers with fiery red throats are sure to attract attention in the spring garden. Dark green leaves provide an appealing backdrop for the flowers, and red buds provide winter interest. Bred in Ohio by David Leach, Solar Flair is hardy to zone 5. Growing 4' tall with a 3' spread, it has a dense, upright, spreading habit that is easy to fit into smaller gardens. Just offer it organically rich, acidic, well-drained soil in a partially shaded area, and avoid windy, exposed areas. Quart. Rhododendron 'Holden's Solar Flair'
Shrub • Z5-9 • H4'xW3' • Mid Spring to Early Summer • Part Shade
- Season Spring
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameRhododendron 'Holden's Solar Flair'
- Ships As1 GALLON POT
- Sun ExposurePartial Shade
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread36 inches
- Spacing36 inches
- Hardiness Zone5-9
- Flowering DateMid spring to early summer
- Planting InstructionsAvoid windy, exposed areas. Set plant at the same level it is growing at in the container, firm soil and water thoroughly. Apply mulch to retain moisture and protect the shallow roots.
- Winter CareMaintain mulch through the winter months. Never allow to dry out. Remove mulch in early spring before growth starts.
- Flower Color:red, yellow
- Flower FormOpen, funnel-shaped flowers that bloom in trusses.
- Foliage TypeOblong, coarse, dark green, glossy, evergreen foliage. Grows in a dense, upright, spreading habit.
- Soil RequirementWell-drained, moisture retentive, organically rich, acidic soil.
- PruningPrune to shape and remove dead wood and broken branches. Deadhead flowers as they fade. After flowering.
- Unique CharactersticsWayside: Quickly becoming known as one of the best hardy, yellow Rhododendrons, 'Solar Flair' explodes in mid-spring with true yellow flowers that sport a fiery red blotch. The dark green, mildew-resistant foliage makes a wonderful contrast to the radiant blooms as well as the attractive red buds that persist throughout winter. Bred in Ohio by renowned breeder, David Leach, 'Solar Flair' is the result of a cross with two of Leach's previous hybrids, 'Calcutta' and 'Casanova', plus 'Goldsworth Orange'. Rhododendron catawbiense adds wonderful hardiness to the pedigree of this gorgeous shrub. This new variety is a great substitute for 'Capistrano' (a beauty in its own right!). Reaching a mature height of about 4 feet and a width of 3 feet, it is ideal for a variety of applications and will fit in nicely in most gardens, even small ones. Provide 'Solar Flair' with organically rich, acidic, well-drained soil in partial sun, and you'll have a garden accent to greet the spring season for years to come! Zones 5-9.
- Shipped1 GALLON POT
- Height/Habit4 feet
- Growth RateModerate.
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2018 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials & Potted Plants|
|1A-4B||4/30/18 - 6/8/18|
|5A-6B||4/30/18 - 6/22/18|
|7A & 7B||4/2/18 - 6/22/18|
|8A & 8B||2/19/18 - 5/25/18|
|9A - 10B||2/12/18 - 5/25/18|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-4: June 4th, 2018
Zones 5-7: June 18th, 2018
Zones 8-10: May 21st, 2018
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.