Curly Red Leucothoe
- Sun Exposure: Partial Shade
- Height/Habit: 15 - 18 inches
- Zone: 6-9
- Flowering Date: mid to late spring
We ship this item in Spring
Send me an email when this item is available
Curly Red Leucothoe
Enjoy four seasons of beauty, color and texture with this uncommonly pretty shrub. Spring and summer are abuzz when unique twisted leaves of orange-red cover the plant, changing to deep green and shades of scarlet red later in the season. In fall and winter, the foliage takes on hues of purple and red—a highly desirable combination in the fall and winter landscape. Small, red berries accompany the colorful show late in the year, giving birds something to snack on before winter arrives in earnest. In the spring, small white flowers open. Makes a nice container or foundation planting. Plant in groups to add drama and interest! Ships in 4" pot. Zones 6-9. Leucothoe axillaris 'Curly Red' PP17666.
For a more dynamic garden appearance, consider adding small and medium-sized shrubbery. Available in a wide range of colors, heights and habits, ornamental shrubs add another layer of natural beauty to the landscape and provide a lovely backdrop to flowering bulbs, perennials and annuals. Of course, some shrubs are so pretty, they create a beautiful display all by themselves. There are a host of evergreen shrub varieties that make wonderful foundation plantings. In addition, there are several truly spectacular cultivars that change color all year round! No matter where you plant them, these shrubs really pack a punch.
- Season Spring
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameLeucothoe axillaris 'Curly Red' Pat. #17,666
- Ships As4" POT
- Sun ExposurePartial Shade
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread24 inches
- Spacing24 inches
- Hardiness Zone6-9
- Flowering Datemid to late spring
- Planting InstructionsPartial shade is best where there is protection from mid day intense sunlight and heat.
- Winter CareNone special.
- Flower Color:white
- Flower Form2 - 3" long racemes of urn shaped flowers.
- Foliage TypeBrilliantly colored, twisted leaves that emerge orange-red, mature to dark green and change to intense shades of scarlet, then purple-red in fall and winter.
- Soil RequirementWell drained acidic soil, pH of 4.5 to 6.5.
- PruningCan take pruning well if a smaller size shrub is desirable.
- Unique CharactersticsExcellent selection with brilliantly colored, twisted leaves that emerge orange-red, mature to dark green and change to intense shades of scarlet, then purple-red in fall and winter. Thick, leathery leaves keep their color during the winter, showing off small red berries. With its compact, slow growing habit, this superb shrub is great for mixed containers, foundation and mass plantings.
- Shipped4" POT
- Height/Habit15 - 18 inches
- Growth RateSlow to moderate
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2018 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials & Potted Plants|
|1A-4B||4/30/18 - 6/8/18|
|5A-6B||4/30/18 - 6/22/18|
|7A & 7B||4/2/18 - 6/22/18|
|8A & 8B||2/19/18 - 5/25/18|
|9A - 10B||2/12/18 - 5/25/18|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-4: June 4th, 2018
Zones 5-7: June 18th, 2018
Zones 8-10: May 21st, 2018
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.