Monarch butterflies love it
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun
- Height/Habit: 24 - 36 inches
- Zone: 9-11
- Flowering Date: June to October
We ship this item in Spring
Send me an email when this item is available
Annual •Z9-11•H24-36"x W18-24" •Early Summer to Fall •Sun
- Season Spring
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameAsclepias curassavica
- Ships As3" POT
- Sun ExposureFull Sun
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread18 - 24 inches
- Spacing18 - 24 inches
- Hardiness Zone9-11
- Flowering DateJune to October
- Flower Color:red
- Flower FormClusters of tiny blossoms
- Foliage TypeSlender, pinate leaves
- Unique CharactersticsMissouri Botanical Garden: Blood flower is winter hardy to USDA Zones 9-11. In St. Louis, it is grown as an annual. It is easily grown from seed each year. Start seed indoors in pots 8-10 weeks before last spring frost date. Plant seedlings outside after last frost date. Grows best in light, rich, evenly moist, well-drained soil in full sun. Tolerates some light shade. Tolerates some soil dryness. Plants are noted for being weedy in their native tropical habitats and in warm winter areas such as the deep South where they will self-seed somewhat profusely. Plants will not self-seed in the St. Louis climate. Container plants may be cut back and brought inside into bright sunny locations in winter. May also be grown as an indoor plant in bright sun with regular watering during the growing season and with reduced watering in a cool location in winter.Asclepias curassavica, commonly called blood flower, is a tender evergreen perennial in the dogbane and milkweed family. It is native to South America, but has naturalized worldwide in many tropical and subtropical areas. It has a much longer flowering period than the perennial milkweeds that are winter hardy in St. Louis. It typically grows as a subshrub to 2-3' tall on upright stems clad with pointed, opposite, lanceolate leaves (to 6" long). Leaves are medium green sometimes with white midribs. Showy flowers with five sepals and five lobes appear in rounded axillary clusters (cymes) in late spring to early summer. Flowers are red-orange with yellow hoods. Flowering continues throughout the summer to early autumn. Hummingbirds, butterflies and bees are attracted to the flowers. Monarch butterflies lay eggs on this plant and the resulting larvae (caterpillars) use the plant leaves as a food source. Flowers are followed by long, narrow seed pods (3-4" long) which split open when ripe releasing silky tailed seeds for dispersal by wind. Stems and leaves exude a milky sap when cut or bruised. Plants can be poisonous to livesto
- Shipped3" POT
- Height/Habit24 - 36 inches
- Growth RateMedium
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2018 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|1A-6B||4/30/18 - 6/8/18|
|7A-10B||4/2/18 - 6/8/18|
|Last Order Date||June 4th, 2018|
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.