Orange Bird Of Paradise
Add drama to patio containers
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun, Partial Shade
- Height/Habit: 36 - 48 inches
- Zone: 10-11
- Flowering Date: Seasonal Bloomer
We ship this item in Spring
Orange Bird Of Paradise
- Season Spring
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameStrelitzia reginae
- Ships As2" POT
- Sun ExposureFull Sun, Partial Shade
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread36 - 48 inches
- Spacing36 - 48 inches
- Hardiness Zone10-11
- Flowering DateSeasonal Bloomer
- Planting InstructionsIn house or greenhouse, grow in large containers with soil-based potting mix. Outdoors, grow in fertile, moist but well drained soil in full sun to partial shade with shelter from strong winds.
- Winter CareWinter hardy to zones 10 to 12. In cold climates grow them in pots that can be moved indoors when freezing temperatures are expected.
- Flower FormThe spathe is a hard beak-like sheath from which the flower emerges. It is a right angle to the stem, which gives the appearance of a bird's head. The flowers emerge one at a time from the spathe.
- Foliage TypeGrey-green banana-like leaves grow about 3 1/2 to 4 feet high.
- Soil RequirementRich loamy soil and plenty of water throughout the year. Plant is very tolerant and will thrive in most soils and can survive with very little water once established.
- Unique CharactersticsExtremely popular plant with exotic looking blooms reminiscent of a bird head. Grown outdoors in southern Florida, California and especially Hawaii.
- Shipped2" POT
- Height/Habit36 - 48 inches
- Growth RateSlow.
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2018 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|1A-6B||4/30/18 - 6/8/18|
|7A-10B||4/2/18 - 6/8/18|
|Last Order Date||June 4th, 2018|
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.