Cold-hardy bush bears near-black berries
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun
- Height/Habit: 5 - 6 feet
- Zone: 3-8
- Flowering Date: Harvest in summer
We ship this item in Fall
Send me an email when this item is available
This new introduction, developed by the Agricultural Research Service, is ideal for the edible landscape or home garden. Ornamental and vigorous, it bears sweet, tasty, medium-sized fruits. White flowers open in the spring and give way to clusters of vivid orange fruits that transition to a dusky blue-black in the summer. Glossy, dark blue-green leaves remain attractive throughout the growing season. Growing 5-6' tall with a similar spread, Nocturne Blueberry grows best in acidic, humus-enriched soil in full sun. While it looks right at home in the garden or landscape, it can also be grown in a patio container. Vaccinum 'Nocturne'
Shrub • Z3-8 • H5-6'xW5-6' • Fruits in Summer • Sun
- Season Fall
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameVaccinum 'Nocturne'
- Ships AsQUART
- Sun ExposureFull Sun
- State RestrictionsAE AK CA GA GU HI MI OR PR WA
- Spread5 - 6 feet
- Spacing5 - 6 feet
- Hardiness Zone3-8
- Flowering DateHarvest in summer
- Flower Color:white
- Flower FormLarge urn shaped 3/4" fruit borne in loose axillary clusters
- Foliage TypeGlossy, dark blue-green simple elliptical 1-2" long and half as wide
- Soil RequirementAcid, humus enriched soil
- Unique CharactersticsBurpee: The edible landscape has never been so sweet! 'Nocturne's 5-6 ft. plants make a striking impression, abounding with vivid orange fruit that transitions to luscious, dusky black. Ornamental native rabbiteye variety is vigorous, adaptive, and cold-hardy. Upright highbush-type plants with glossy green foliage produce a plentitude of delicious berries late-midseason to late season.
- Height/Habit5 - 6 feet
- Growth RateSlow once established, which takes approximately 8 - 10 weeks
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2017 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials, Bulbs & Potted Plants|
|1A-2B||9/5/2017 – 11/3/2017|
|3A-10B||9/5/2017 - 11/17/2017|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-2: 10/30/2017
Zones 3-10: 11/13/2017
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.