A Southern garden favorite
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun, Partial Shade
- Height/Habit: 20 - 30 feet
- Zone: 7-9
- Flowering Date: July to September
We ship this item in Spring
- Season Spring
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameGordlinia grandiflora 'Sweet Tea'
- Ships As4" POT
- Sun ExposureFull Sun, Partial Shade
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread8 - 15 feet
- Spacing8 - 15 feet
- Hardiness Zone7-9
- Flowering DateJuly to September
- Planting InstructionsDig a hole large enough to accommodate the roots without bending them. Work soil around the roots, firm well and water thoroughly
- Winter CareA winter mulch is advantageous the first winter if fall planted
- Flower Color:white
- Flower Form4 ovate bracts 2-3" long which open large white flowers
- Foliage TypeGlossy green leaves
- Soil RequirementBest grown as a specimen tree in a fertile, humus-rich, neutral to acid soil in full sun or partial shade. It is not recommended for poor, shallow, chalk soils.
- PruningDead wood should be removed after flowering
- Unique CharactersticsMissouri Botanical Garden: x Gordlinia grandiflora, commonly known as mountain gordlinia, is an intergeneric hybrid resulting from a controlled cross made in August of 2002 by Ranney and Fantz of the Department of Horticultural Science at North Carolina State University between Franklinia alatamaha (deciduous female parent commonly called Franklin tree) and Gordonia lasianthus (evergreen male parent commonly called loblolly bay). Nine hybrids were propagated in December of 2003 from seeds produced by this intergeneric cross. This fast-growing hybrid typically grows as a multi-stemmed shrub or small tree to 20' (occasionally to as much as 30') tall and to 15' wide. Large, partially cupped to flattened, camellia-like flowers (to 5" diameter), each sporting 5 white petals surrounding a showy boss of egg-yolk yellow center stamens, bloom from July to September. Narrow, lanceolate-elliptic leaves (to 4-8" long) with serrulate margins are dark green above and pale green beneath. Leaves are semi-evergreen, but usually acquire some shades of red and orange in fall. Hybrid name is a combination of the generic names of the parents. Specific epithet from Latin means with large flowers. SWEET TEA is in reference to this hybrid being a member of the tea family with flowers having a mild sweet fragrance.
- Shipped4" POT
- Height/Habit20 - 30 feet
- Growth RateSlow to moderate
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2018 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials & Potted Plants|
|1A-4B||4/30/18 - 6/8/18|
|5A-6B||4/30/18 - 6/22/18|
|7A & 7B||4/2/18 - 6/22/18|
|8A & 8B||2/19/18 - 5/25/18|
|9A - 10B||2/12/18 - 5/25/18|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-4: June 4th, 2018
Zones 5-7: June 18th, 2018
Zones 8-10: May 21st, 2018
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.