Moss Rose Hens and Chicks
Easy to grow in nearly every climate
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun, Partial Shade
- Height/Habit: 6 - 8 inches
- Zone: 2-9
- Flowering Date: Year round interest
We ship this item in Fall
Send me an email when this item is available
Moss Rose Hens and Chicks
No matter where you live, you can enjoy this unique and carefree plant. With a new color combination that pairs light green foliage with deep red rosettes, it's sure to attract attention to rock gardens, containers or anywhere you want a one-of-a-kind ground cover. Naturalizes like a dream, increasing in strength, vigor and spread year after year. This fast-growing perennial does best in full sun to partial shade, is heat and drought tolerant, deer resistant, and withstands neglect like a champ. Grows 6-8" tall with a 6-12" spread. Zones 2-9. Sempervivum 'Moss Rose'
Distinctive in form and habit, Hens and Chicks (otherwise known as sempervivum) is a colorful and hardy perennial that hugs the ground and produces unique tropical-looking plants that are just as at home in zone 2 as in zone 9. Available in many color combinations, but they are all easy to grow and maintain. Drought tolerant and heat resistant.
- Season Fall
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameSempervivum 'Moss Rose'
- Ships As2" POT
- Sun ExposureFull Sun, Partial Shade
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread6 - 8 inches
- Spacing6 - 8 inches
- Hardiness Zone2-9
- Flowering DateYear round interest
- Flower Color:green
- Flower FormThe light green foliage is the real interest with deep red rosettes.
- Foliage TypeLight green foliage with link pink rosettes in summer
- Unique CharactersticsAmong the easiest plants to grow, Hen-and-chicks tolerate heat, drought and neglect with style. Useful in rock gardens, container garden of all types, rooftop gardens and rock walls. Hundreds of varieties exist. All types form a low cushion or carpet of fleshy leaves, tiny new plants appearing in a circle around the mother in the middle. This selection has medium-large pointy rosettes of light green covered in fine, soft hairs. Short spikes of pastel flowers appear in summer. Easily increased by just removing the small baby rosettes and replanting in a new location at almost any time. After flowering, the mother rosette dies to leave room for the chicks: remove this by tugging gently at the base of the bloom stem.
- Shipped2" POT
- Height/Habit6 - 8 inches
- Growth RateFast
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2017 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials, Bulbs & Potted Plants|
|1A-2B||9/5/2017 – 11/3/2017|
|3A-10B||9/5/2017 - 11/17/2017|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-2: 10/30/2017
Zones 3-10: 11/13/2017
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.