Lilac Sunday Lilac
Amazing two-foot panicles!
- Height/Habit: 6 - 10 feet
- Zone: 3-7
- Flowering Date: Early to mid spring.
We ship this item in Fall
Send me an email when this item is available
Lilac Sunday Lilac
Lilac Sunday is outstanding in so many ways—bloom panicles, color, fragrance and growth habit. Its gracefully arching branches create a distinctive cascade of light lavender blooms, and its fragrant flowers are borne in abundance each spring. But what sets Lilac Sunday apart from common lilacs is that it blooms at the branch tips AND at lateral buds at the sides of the branches. Bloom panicles appear to be at least 2' long! Garden visitors— as well as pollinators like hummingbirds, butterflies and other beneficial insects— will enjoy its unique blooms every spring.
While Lilac Sunday can reach 10' tall and 10' wide, it can easily be trimmed to a shorter height. And, it's easy to grow in well-drained soil. Just plant in a sunny location, and once established, it needs little care other than water in drought. You'll enjoy its beauty and fragrance spring after spring after spring. Syringa x 'Lilac Sunday'
- Season Fall
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameSyringa chinensis 'Lilac Sunday'
- Ships As4" POT
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread8 - 10 feet
- Spacing8 - 10 feet
- Hardiness Zone3-7
- Flowering DateEarly to mid spring.
- Planting InstructionsPlant at the same level it is growing at in the container. Firm well, and water thoroughly.
- Winter CareMulch the first winter, if fall planted.
- Flower Color:purple
- Flower FormSmall flowers appear in panicles that can reach up to 2' long.
- Foliage TypeSmall, ovate to lanceolate, medium to dark green leaves.
- Soil RequirementWell-drained, humus-enriched soil.
- PruningDeadhead and remove older and weaker branches. Prune after flowering, any spring pruning would remove potential blooms. After flowering.
- Additional InformationFoliage is resistant to mildew, a common problem with lilacs.
- Unique CharactersticsGracefully arching branches create a cascade of blooms. Gorgeous panicles of tiny purple flowers bloom not only from branch tips, but also from lateral buds. Panicles can reach up to 2' long!
- Shipped4" POT
- Height/Habit6 - 10 feet
- Growth RateModerate once established, which takes approximately 4-6 weeks.
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2017 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials, Bulbs & Potted Plants|
|1A-2B||9/5/2017 – 11/3/2017|
|3A-10B||9/5/2017 - 11/17/2017|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-2: 10/30/2017
Zones 3-10: 11/13/2017
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.