Large-Leaf Italian Basil
Excellent in pesto and italian dishes
- Height/Habit: 12 - 14 inches
- Zone: 10
- Flowering Date: Mid summer
We ship this item in Spring
Send me an email when this item is available
Large-Leaf Italian Basil
A must-have for the herb garden, basil is a favorite for many Italian dishes such as pasta sauces, soups and vegetables. It's also a lovely addition to summer salads. Basil can be used fresh or dried. Although easy to grow, basil is cold sensitive and not winter hardy. Zone 10. Ships in 3" pot. Ocimum basilicum
Herbs are so rewarding and easy to grow—in herb gardens, containers or flower beds. When called for in a recipe, just snip a few leaves. Once you've enjoyed homegrown herbs in recipes, you'll never want to go back to store-bought herbs. Have extra herbs? Snip a few and make a fresh herb potpourri. Herbs can also be dried for winter-time use.
When you purchase herb plants from Spring Hill, they'll be delivered to you at the proper planting time—no more searching garden centers for the herbs you want.
- Season Spring
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameOcimum basilicum
- Ships AsPOTTED
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread12 - 18 inches
- Spacing12 - 18 inches
- Hardiness Zone10
- Flowering DateMid summer
- Planting InstructionsPlant outside after all danger of frost is past in spring. Sensitive to cold temperatures.
- Winter CareNot winter hardy.
- Flower Color:white
- Flower Form1/2 inch in length.
- Foliage TypeOpposite, purple tinged oval leaves.
- Soil RequirementMoist, well drained, rich soil. Doesn't like to dry out.
- PruningPinch back to encourage a bushy plant. Careful not to remove too many leaves from one stem of young plants.
- Unique CharactersticsFavorite seasoning for many italian dishes such as pasta sauces, tomato dishes, soups or with vegetables. Can be used fresh or dried.
- Height/Habit12 - 14 inches
- Growth RateModerate.
When will my order ship?
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.