Japanese Umbrella Pine
Dramatic form for an evergreen
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun
- Height/Habit: 25 - 30 feet
- Zone: 5-8
- Flowering Date: Evergreen year round.
We ship this item in Fall
Send me an email when this item is available
Japanese Umbrella Pine
Add a completely new kind of evergreen to your landscape and enjoy the compliments you receive from family, friends and neighbors. So named for its umbrella-like whorls of evergreen needles, this Asian import is a somewhat slow-growing tree that performs well in full sun with little care or maintenance. Well-drained soil will give it a good foundation for growth and removal of dead or broken branches will help it maintain its nice shape. The unique needle whorls make a wonderfully unexpected addition to cut-flower arrangements, too. Grows 25-30' tall over many years; makes a great privacy screen at maturity. Zones 5-8. Sciadopitys verticillata
Evergreen shrubs and trees are some of the most versatile plants you can add to the landscape. Not only do they keep their much-needed green color throughout the gray, barren days of winter, they make marvelous backdrops to the vivid bright colors of the spring and summer blooms to come. These wonderful cultivars come in a variety of shapes and sizes, each one ideal for a specific space or use. Smaller shrubs or dwarfed trees can be used in a foundation planting or as a border anchor. Taller trees make excellent privacy screens or as a way to jazz up boring fence lines. Any way you choose to use evergreens in your landscape, they are sure to add color, interest and beauty to the entire area.
- Season Fall
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameSciadopitys verticillata
- Ships As4" POT
- Sun ExposureFull Sun
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread15 - 20 feet
- Spacing15 - 20 feet
- Hardiness Zone5-8
- Flowering DateEvergreen year round.
- Planting InstructionsDig a hole twice the size of the pot the plant is in. Score a vertical mark on each of the four sides of the root ball. Firm soil around the roots and water thoroughly.
- Foliage TypeThin, evergreen needles
- Soil RequirementWell-drained soil.
- PruningPruning is not necessary, except to remove a dead or broken branch.
- Unique CharactersticsJapanese umbrella tree gets its common name from the umbrella-like whorls of needles that grow at the ends of the branchlets and branches. Each whorl contains 20-30 soft, flattened, dark green needles (to 5" long) that radiate outward in a manner somewhat resembling the ribs of an open umbrella. In its native habitat in Japan, this evergreen conifer may grow to 90' tall. In cultivation in the U. S., however, it typically matures to 25-30' tall over many years. It is a very slow grower, usually attaining a height of no more than 4-5' in the first 10 years. Japanese umbrella tree exhibits a dense, narrow, conical to pyramidal habit in youth, but tends to open up with age. Oval, erect fruiting cones (to 4" long) emerge green in the first year and ripen to brown in the second year. Attractive reddish brown exfoliating bark is usually well-hidden by the dense foliage. The needles that appear in showy whorls (verticillata meaning whorled) conduct photosynthesis for the tree, but are technically not leaves. The true leaves hug the branches and are small, scale-like and non-showy. A number of cultivars, including dwarf, semi-dwarf and pendulous varieties, are available in commerce. Although once included in the bald cypress family (Taxodiaceae) which is now merged into the cypress family (Cupressaceae), Japanese umbrella tree is now generally considered to be in its own family (Sciadopityaceae).
- Shipped4" POT
- Height/Habit25 - 30 feet
- Growth RateSlow
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2017 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials, Bulbs & Potted Plants|
|1A-2B||9/5/2017 – 11/3/2017|
|3A-10B||9/5/2017 - 11/17/2017|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-2: 10/30/2017
Zones 3-10: 11/13/2017
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.