Native ground cover with edible berries
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun, Full Shade, Partial Shade
- Height/Habit: 6 feet
- Zone: 7-9
- Flowering Date: Harvest in summer
We ship this item in Spring
- Season Spring
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameVaccinium ovatum
- Ships As4"
- Sun ExposureFull Sun, Full Shade, Partial Shade
- State RestrictionsAE AK CA GA GU HI PR WA
- Spread4 feet
- Spacing4 feet
- Hardiness Zone7-9
- Flowering DateHarvest in summer
- Flower Color:white
- Flower FormUrn shaped 1/3" borne in loose axillary clusters
- Foliage TypeGlossy, dark blue-green simple elliptical 1-2" long and half as wide
- Soil RequirementAcid, humus enriched soil
- Unique CharactersticsGreat Plant Picks: Vaccinium ovatum is one of the most versatile and underused native plants of the Pacific Northwest. It provides a regional feel to our gardens and helps define the Northwest landscape. Typically thought of as a woodland plant, it performs equally well in full sun. In spring its small, leathery leaves have tones of copper and bronze, and they mature to shiny dark green. Small, urn-shaped white flowers hang under the foliage in spring, transforming to succulent blue-black berries by late summer. These make delicious jam or jelly. The small leaves of this shrub create a fine texture, but its slightly irregular growth habit keeps it interesting. It contrasts well with plants with larger leaves, such as rhododendrons. Use evergreen huckleberry in informal groupings or as a natural low screen. Surprisingly it will also shear into a dense formal hedge.
- Height/Habit6 feet
- Growth RateSlow once established, which takes approximately 8 - 10 weeks
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2018 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials & Potted Plants|
|1A-4B||4/30/18 - 6/8/18|
|5A-6B||4/30/18 - 6/22/18|
|7A & 7B||4/2/18 - 6/22/18|
|8A & 8B||2/19/18 - 5/25/18|
|9A - 10B||2/12/18 - 5/25/18|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-4: June 4th, 2018
Zones 5-7: June 18th, 2018
Zones 8-10: May 21st, 2018
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.