Hot Chocolate Peony
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun, Partial Shade
- Height/Habit: 36 - 48 inches
- Zone: 3-8
- Flowering Date: Late spring to early summer
We ship this item in Fall
Send me an email when this item is available
Hot Chocolate Peony
Fragrant and elegant Hot Chocolate Peony adds drama to the late spring garden. Well-formed, double flowers have chocolate red guard petals and cocoa-hued centers that are touched with golden tones. The flowers look striking in bouquets and butterflies love them. Equally impressive is the highly ornamental foliage. Its new growth is copper-burgundy in the spring, turns to a glossy, deep green and then turns a soft yellow in the fall. Easy to grow and very long-lived, peonies are classic garden plants that add a bit of nostalgia and charm to the garden. The fragrant blooms and lush foliage made them popular for years and with the resurgence in breeding, they will continue to improve. Plant as a specimen plant, a foundation planting or along a walkway. Deer tend to avoid. 2-3 eye. Paeonia lactiflora cv 'Hot Chocolate'
Perennial • Z2-8 • H36-48"xW24-36" • Late Spring to Early Summer • Sun-Part Shade
- Season Fall
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NamePaeonia 'Hot Chocolate'
- Ships As2-3 EYE
- Sun ExposureFull Sun, Partial Shade
- State RestrictionsAE AK FL GU HI PR
- Spread24 - 36 inches
- Spacing24 - 36 inches
- Hardiness Zone3-8
- Flowering DateLate spring to early summer
- Flower Color:pink, white
- Flower FormUp to 9" or larger, semi-double, bowl shaped flowers.
- Foliage TypeGlossy, deep green foliage that is very attractive and ornamental through-out the growing season. The new growth in spring is burgundy colored and turns a soft yellow in the fall
- Soil RequirementWell-drained, deep, fertile soil.
- PruningRemove spent blooms. Clean up and remove shoots to the ground.
- Unique CharactersticsKlehm's Song Sparrow: Popular creamy white and gold combination with extraordinary form and slight sweet fragrance. Blooms have hints of pink and broad, well-formed guard petals. Peony 'Honey Gold' makes a good cut flower.
- Shipped2-3 EYE
- Height/Habit36 - 48 inches
- Growth RateMedium
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2017 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials, Bulbs & Potted Plants|
|1A-2B||9/5/2017 – 11/3/2017|
|3A-10B||9/5/2017 - 11/17/2017|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-2: 10/30/2017
Zones 3-10: 11/13/2017
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.