Empress Wu Hosta
Impressive size and spread
- Sun Exposure: Full Shade, Partial Shade
- Height/Habit: 36 - 48 inches
- Zone: 3-9
- Flowering Date: Early to midsummer
We ship this item in Spring
Empress Wu Hosta
- Season Spring
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameHosta 'Empress Wu' PP20774
- Ships AsBAREROOT
- Sun ExposureFull Shade, Partial Shade
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread5 - 6 feet
- Spacing5 - 6 feet
- Hardiness Zone3-9
- Flowering DateEarly to midsummer
- Planting InstructionsPlant at the same level as the soil so the crown of the plant is even with the soil level. Don't bury the crown. Full sun is best for quicker flowering and higher quality plants.
- Winter CareNone, except to mulch the first winter to prevent heaving of plants from the ground due to alternate freezing and thawing weather. Remove mulch early in spring, before new growth begins.
- Flower Color:purple
- Flower FormTubular, bell-shaped, lavender flowers on tall scapes.
- Foliage TypeVery large, deeply veined green leaves, up to 1 1/2' wide.
- Soil RequirementWell-drained, moisture-retentive soil.
- PruningRemove spent flower stems to keep the plant tidy. After flowering.
- Unique CharactersticsHuge dark green, deeply veined leaves of good substance can measure more than 11/2 feet wide and long. Large leaves are formed as a young plant, though entire clump takes about 5 years growing in the ground to achieve mature size.Strongly upright habit, forming a very tall and wide clump.Pale reddish violet flowers appear just above the foliage in early to midsummerAn outstanding focal point and topic of conversation in your shade garden!
- Height/Habit36 - 48 inches
- Growth RateMedium
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2018 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials & Potted Plants|
|1A-4B||4/30/18 - 6/8/18|
|5A-6B||4/30/18 - 6/22/18|
|7A & 7B||4/2/18 - 6/22/18|
|8A & 8B||2/19/18 - 5/25/18|
|9A - 10B||2/12/18 - 5/25/18|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-4: June 4th, 2018
Zones 5-7: June 18th, 2018
Zones 8-10: May 21st, 2018
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.