Returns year after year
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun
- Height/Habit: 4 - 6 feet
- Zone: 3-9
- Flowering Date: Midsummer to fall.
We ship this item in Spring
Single black-purple flowers bloom on sturdy stems, attracting hummingbirds and butterflies. Unlike other hollyhocks that are biennials, Blacknight is a perennial. With their tall spikes, hollyhocks are a favorite for back borders or planted along a fence in a cottage garden. Ships in 3" pot. Alcea rosea 'Blacknight'
Perennial • Z3-9 • H4-6'xW2' • Midsummer to Fall • Sun
- Season Spring
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameAlcea rosea 'Spotlight Blacknight'
- Ships As2.5 INCH POT
- Sun ExposureFull Sun
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread18 - 24 inches
- Spacing18 - 24 inches
- Hardiness Zone3-9
- Flowering DateMidsummer to fall.
- Planting InstructionsGrow next to a sunny wall or fence. Stalks are very strong, but may require staking if planted in an open sunny site.
- Winter CareNone special
- Flower Color:black
- Flower FormSingle open flowers.
- Foliage TypeRound, lobed leaves.
- ResistanceSusceptible to hollyhock rust and japanese beetles.
- Soil RequirementModerately fertile, well drained soil.
- Unique CharactersticsDeep black-purple, single flowers are produced on tall, sturdy stalks in midsummer.For over 18 years, Jelitto worked to develop a consistent strain of stable, straight color, single flowered Hollyhocks. The Alcea rosea Spotlight Series was introduced by Jelitto in 2010 with multiple single color strains including deep black-purple, red, pink, yellow, and white.Other than their fabulous blossoms, one of the best traits about this series is that the plants are truly perennial, not biennial.Feel free to grow hollyhocks under Black Walnut trees; they are tolerant of the toxic juglone that is emitted through the trees' roots.
- Shipped2.5 INCH POT
- Height/Habit4 - 6 feet
- Growth RateFast
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2018 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials & Potted Plants|
|1A-4B||4/30/18 - 6/8/18|
|5A-6B||4/30/18 - 6/22/18|
|7A & 7B||4/2/18 - 6/22/18|
|8A & 8B||2/19/18 - 5/25/18|
|9A - 10B||2/12/18 - 5/25/18|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-4: June 4th, 2018
Zones 5-7: June 18th, 2018
Zones 8-10: May 21st, 2018
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.