Hadspen Blue Hosta
The best blue!
- Sun Exposure: Full Shade, Partial Shade
- Height/Habit: 14 inches
- Zone: 3-9
- Flowering Date: Midsummer
We ship this item in Fall
Send me an email when this item is available
Hadspen Blue Hosta
Add tons of welcome color and interest to the shadowy areas of your landscape with this outstanding shade-loving perennial. Hadspen Blue has been described as the "most spectacular blue on the market," and we can totally see why. This amazing hosta features a one-of-a-kind steel-blue color flushed with a powdery highlight. It bestows its unique color and lush beauty on shade-darkened rockeries, woodland gardens and borders while effectively attracting pollinators to the landscape. Plant in full to partial shade. Prefers well-drained, humus-rich soil. Zones 3-9. Hosta 'Hadspen Blue'
Available in a vast array of colors, shapes and sizes, and well known for its exemplary garden performance and vigor, hosta is by far the most popular shade lover in the country. Ranging from dark blue-green to white, and every color in between, these hardy plants add bright beauty and loads of interest to even the most darkened corners of the landscape from late spring through early fall. Most hosta bear tall, arching sprays of white or lavender, funnel-shaped blooms in summer; some even emit a delicate perfume that attracts pollinators such as butterflies and beneficial bees. Rock gardens, woodland areas, shadowed borders and shady cutting gardens are perfect for hosta plants.
- Season Fall
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameHosta 'Hadspen Blue'
- Ships As3" POT
- Sun ExposureFull Shade, Partial Shade
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread24 inches
- Spacing24 inches
- Hardiness Zone3-9
- Flowering DateMidsummer
- Planting InstructionsPerforms best in a partial shade location.
- Winter CareCut to ground after leaves have frosted; mulch deeply with compost, leafmold or old manure; not essential, but makes for much showier plants next season.
- Flower Color:purple
- Flower FormTall scape with funnel shaped blooms.
- Foliage TypeThick, cupped, heavily textured leaves are slug resistant
- Soil RequirementWell drained, humus rich garden soil.
- PruningRemove spent flower stems to tidy up the plants for the rest of the growing season. After flowering.
- Unique CharactersticsPowdery steel blue leaves retain their color all summer long; one of the best blues ever developed. Described by many as the most spectacular hosta they have ever seen! Thick, heavily corrugated and puckered leaves are green with a brilliant gold center. In spring, the margin may have a waxy coating making it appear more blue, and the center may be more chartreuse. Thick leaves exhibit slug resistance. Forms a wide, tall clump, making it the perfect focal point for a shade garden.
- Shipped3" POT
- Height/Habit14 inches
- Growth RateModerate to fast
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2017 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials, Bulbs & Potted Plants|
|1A-2B||9/5/2017 – 11/3/2017|
|3A-10B||9/5/2017 - 11/17/2017|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-2: 10/30/2017
Zones 3-10: 11/13/2017
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.