Grif's Select Hardy Gardenia
Exceptional winter hardiness
- Sun Exposure: Partial Shade
- Height/Habit: 36 - 48 inches
- Zone: 6-10
- Flowering Date: Spring
We ship this item in Spring
Grif's Select Hardy Gardenia
- Season Spring
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameGardenia jasminoides 'Grif's Select'
- Ships As4" POT
- Sun ExposurePartial Shade
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread36 - 48 inches
- Spacing36 - 48 inches
- Hardiness Zone6-10
- Flowering DateSpring
- Planting InstructionsDappled shade is best planting location.
- Winter CareNot reliably hardy north of zone 7 or winter temperatures of 0 degrees F.
- Flower Color:white
- Flower FormCorolla spreads out somewhat flat with layered petals.
- Foliage TypeEvergreen, rounded at the tips with a glossy dark green color.
- Soil RequirementFertile, humus enriched soil that is neutral to acidic.
- PruningMinimal pruning to shape plants. Any time during growing season.
- Additional InformationIntroduction from the late J.C. Raulston of North Carolina State University.
- Unique CharactersticsMissouri Botanical Garden: Most cultivars of Gardenia jasminoides are winter hardy to USDA Zones 7 or 8 to 10. 'Grif's Select' is noted for having exceptional winter hardiness and is reported to be winter hardy to USDA Zone 6 with protection. It is best grown in humusy, organically rich, acidic, well-drained soils in part shade. Consider raised plantings in areas with heavy clay soil. Water plant soils consistently. Plants appreciate significant humidity year-round. In the St. Louis area, plants may be grown in the ground in protected locations with a good organic root mulch or may be grown in pots or containers in indoor conservatories. Container plants may be taken outside in summer, but should be brought indoors in late summer/early fall for overwintering. As an indoor plant, grow this gardenia in bright light with moderate room temperatures. Water moderately, but do not allow soils to dry out. Prune as needed after flowering to shape. Fertilize as needed from March to August. Gardenias need lots of attention and are generally considered to be difficult plants to grow well. 'Grif's Select' is a compact cultivar that typically grows to 3-4' tall and as wide. It is particularly noted for its compact form, small leaves fragrant daisy-like white summer flowers (to 3" diameter), showy red seed capsules (hips) and excellent winter hardiness. 'Grif's Select' was reportedly developed from seed obtained by Michael Dirr from the Beijing Botanic Garden.
- Shipped4" POT
- Height/Habit36 - 48 inches
- Growth RateModerate.
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2018 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials & Potted Plants|
|1A-4B||4/30/18 - 6/8/18|
|5A-6B||4/30/18 - 6/22/18|
|7A & 7B||4/2/18 - 6/22/18|
|8A & 8B||2/19/18 - 5/25/18|
|9A - 10B||2/12/18 - 5/25/18|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-4: June 4th, 2018
Zones 5-7: June 18th, 2018
Zones 8-10: May 21st, 2018
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.