- Sun Exposure: Full Sun, Partial Shade
- Height/Habit: 6 - 8 inches
- Zone: 4-8
- Flowering Date: Early, Mid Spring
We ship this item in Fall
Send me an email when this item is available
Modern gardens face new difficulties, including pressure from our woodland friends, deer. These bulbs are least appetizing to hungry creatures, including deer and squirrels.
- Season Fall
- Unit of Measure25
- Botanical NameMuscari Armencia
- Ships As6-7 CM BULB
- Sun ExposureFull Sun, Partial Shade
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread4 - 6 inches
- Spacing4 - 6 inches
- Hardiness Zone4-8
- Flowering DateEarly, Mid Spring
- Flower Color:blue
- Flower FormBells
- Foliage TypeLong narrow
- Unique CharactersticsBrecks: A sudden bloom of grape hyacinth is an elegant way to announce the arrival of spring. Also known as muscari, this ornamental garden plant is not your typical spring bloom. Its distinguishing feature is its tightly packed urn-shaped flowers. While these flowering bulbs usually appear in different shades of blue that range from sensual pale blue to dreamy turquoise to startling black-blue, we also have rare shades like pink and white. Like most spring-flowering bulbs, the right time to plant muscari grape hyacinth is in the fall. It is a hardy flowering plant that does not require a rich soil to flourish. However, this bulb grows best in well-drained soils and in direct sunlight or partial shade. Planting grape hyacinth bulbs requires holes that are up to 4 inches deep, and they must be spaced at least 3 inches apart and watered regularly as they develop roots and leaves during the fall. Grape hyacinth flowers bloom in spring and cluster around rigid stalks, a bit like how grapes cluster. Each flower is a composite of six fused tepals formed in a bell shape with a constricted or a fluffy wide opening. With a strong, long stalk and eye-catching clusters, these flowers make for lovely bouquets. After blooming completes, it is time to prepare a grape hyacinth garden for the next year. By pruning the leftover flower spikes and green seed pods, the green foliage of the plant nourishes the bulb more effectively. In turn, these leaves yellow and die during the summer, the grape hyacinth bulbs' dormant season, and will then need to be pruned. Muscari grape hyacinth effortlessly seeds itself. Therefore, it can naturalize a rock garden just as easily as a meadow grows--it needs little help from a gardener. If you desire a colourful spring surprise every year, then our wide selection of Dutch bulbs will help you grow a truly enviable muscari garden.
- Shipped6-7 CM BULB
- Height/Habit6 - 8 inches
- Growth RateMedium
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2017 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials, Bulbs & Potted Plants|
|1A-2B||9/5/2017 – 11/3/2017|
|3A-10B||9/5/2017 - 11/17/2017|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-2: 10/30/2017
Zones 3-10: 11/13/2017
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.