For the Birds Shrub Collection
A natural way to feed and shelter birds
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun, Partial Shade
- Height/Habit: 36 - 96 inches
- Zone: 5-8
- Flowering Date: Mid spring to fall
We ship this item in Spring
For the Birds Shrub Collection
Give the birds what they need, and add color and structure to your garden, with shrubs. Our For the Birds Collection includes the Early Amethyst Japanese Beautyberry, the Brilliantissima Chokeberry and the Summer Snowflake Viburnum. All three varieties provide gorgeous flowers in the spring or early summer, and all produce berries that birds can feast on in the fall and winter. The Early Amethyst Japanese Beautyberry has small lavender-pink flowers that open in early summer and are followed by brilliant, bubblegum purple berries that birds love. Grows 3-4' tall with a 4-5' spread. A native to the eastern part of North America, the Brilliantissima Chokeberry produces clusters of white to light pink flowers in spring. They're followed by dense clusters of glossy, red fruits. The chokeberry's foliage turns bright red in the fall. Grows 6-8' tall with a 3-4' spread. The upright Summer Snowflake Viburnum bears loads of white lacecap-type blooms starting in mid spring and continuing throughout the summer season. The red fruit matures to black. This native shrub grows 3-5' tall with a similar spread.
- Season Spring
- Unit of Measure3
- Botanical NameAronia arbutifolia 'Brilliantissima', Viburnum plicatum tomentosum 'Summer Snowflake', Callicarpa japonica 'Early Amethyst'
- Ships As3" POT
- Sun ExposureFull Sun, Partial Shade
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread36 - 60 inches
- Spacing36 - 60 inches
- Hardiness Zone5-8
- Flowering DateMid spring to fall
- Planting InstructionsNone special. But better berry crop is achieved with more than one viburnum planted.
- Winter CareNone special
- Flower Color:mixed
- Flower FormSmall single flower clusters arranged in dome-shaped cymes.
- Foliage TypeLeaves begin green and turn shades of maroon and golden yellow in fall.
- Soil RequirementAverage well drained soil. Does not tolerate chalky or alkaline soils.
- PruningDo any pruning after flowering. Take care not to prune too heavily or fruit production will be reduced.
- Additional InformationCollection contains: Brilliantissima Chokeberry, Summer Snowflake Viburnum, Early Amethyst Japanese Beautyberry
- Unique CharactersticsSee individual component data sheets (ref 7656, 10337, 8006)
- Shipped3" POT
- Height/Habit36 - 96 inches
- Growth RateModerate
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2018 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials & Potted Plants|
|1A-4B||4/30/18 - 6/8/18|
|5A-6B||4/30/18 - 6/22/18|
|7A & 7B||4/2/18 - 6/22/18|
|8A & 8B||2/19/18 - 5/25/18|
|9A - 10B||2/12/18 - 5/25/18|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-4: June 4th, 2018
Zones 5-7: June 18th, 2018
Zones 8-10: May 21st, 2018
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.