Feather Reed Grass
- Height/Habit: 4 - 5 feet
- Zone: 4-8
- Flowering Date: Late spring, and plumes remain through summer and into winter.
We ship this item in Fall
Send me an email when this item is available
Feather Reed Grass
- Season Fall
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameCalamagrostis acutiflora 'Karl Foerster'
- Ships As1 GALLON POT
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread24 - 1080 inches
- Spacing36 - 48 inches
- Hardiness Zone4-8
- Flowering DateLate spring, and plumes remain through summer and into winter.
- Flower FormNarrow, erect, golden wheat-colored plumes.
- Foliage TypeNarrow green leaves, with a vertical clumping habit.
- Soil RequirementWell-drained, organically-rich, moisture-retentive soil. Does well in heavy clay soil.
- PruningPrune back to 6-8" (15-20 cm) in early spring, before new growth appears. Early spring.
- Unique CharactersticsA native plant from North America that found popularity in Great Britain and now is being used more in the US. Gateway is smaller than the common species of Joe-Pye Weed and is more decorative. The large mauve-pink flower heads have twice as many flowers as the species and are at the top of showy reddish stems. The size (5-6') lends itself to the back of a mixed border and makes it an ideal companion plant to ornamental grasses and late summer blooming perennials like Echinacea and Physostegia.
- Shipped1 GALLON POT
- Height/Habit4 - 5 feet
- Growth RateModerate
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2017 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials, Bulbs & Potted Plants|
|1A-2B||9/5/2017 – 11/3/2017|
|3A-10B||9/5/2017 - 11/17/2017|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-2: 10/30/2017
Zones 3-10: 11/13/2017
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.