Empress of China™ Dogwood
Exceptional blooming with persistant foliage
- Sun Exposure: Partial Shade
- Height/Habit: 15 - 18 feet
- Zone: 6-9
- Flowering Date: Late spring
We ship this item in Spring
Empress of China™ Dogwood
- Season Spring
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameCornus angustata 'Elsbry' PP#14537
- Ships AsPOTTED
- Sun ExposurePartial Shade
- State RestrictionsAE AK FL GU HI PR
- Spread13 - 15 feet
- Spacing13 - 15 feet
- Hardiness Zone6-9
- Flowering DateLate spring
- Planting InstructionsPrefers an area that receives morning sun and afternoon shade. Does best in a spot sheltered from wind. Is best to stake young plants. Set plant at the same level it is growing at in the container, firm soil and water thoroughly.
- Winter CareAn organic mulch is helpful to conserve soil moisture, when plant is young.
- Flower Color:white
- Flower FormComposed of four prominent "star-shaped" bracts that surround a small central cluster of tiny flowers.
- Foliage TypeEvergreen in south, to semi-evergreen in cooler climates. Lustrous, narrow, dark green leaves have a purplish tinge in the coldest winters.
- Soil RequirementAcidic, organically-rich, moisture retentive soil. Use mulch to maintain soil moisture - never allow to dry out. Becomes more drought tolerant with age.
- PruningPrune to maintain a desired shape and to remove dead and broken limbs. Late winter.
- Additional InformationA seedling selection made in the South Carolina garden of John Elsley, 1993. Botanically close to Cornus kousa.
- Unique CharactersticsSouthern Living: An evergreen Chineses Dogwood with a graceful, yet vigorous habit and loads of flowers. Each branch hold up to 150 white blooms that eventually transform into traqnslucent trawberry-like fruit. Empress of China will light up your partly-shaded garden. Plantsnouveau: This new selection has an exceptional for bloom count, amazingly beautiful fruit and unheard of garden vigor. Glossy, leathery bright green leaves average 3 inches long and an inch wide persist through the winter months, then slough off after the new growth emerges in spring. The 1 1/2 inch blooms are fantastic as well. Tey open lime green and mature to a creamy white. the blooms are crowded so densely along the branches that an Empress of China in full bloom will stop passers-by. Once the blooms drop, they're followed by pretty fruit that attracts songbirds into the garden for a late summer and fall feast. Empress of China can take the heat and humidity of the deep South. This flowering beauty thrives in Texas, yet lives just as happily in Maryland. It prefers partial shade, but if you give it too much the flowering will suffer a bit. do not plant this tree where it will get the hottest afternoon sun.
- Height/Habit15 - 18 feet
- Growth RateModerate to fast.
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2018 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials & Potted Plants|
|1A-4B||4/30/18 - 6/8/18|
|5A-6B||4/30/18 - 6/22/18|
|7A & 7B||4/2/18 - 6/22/18|
|8A & 8B||2/19/18 - 5/25/18|
|9A - 10B||2/12/18 - 5/25/18|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-4: June 4th, 2018
Zones 5-7: June 18th, 2018
Zones 8-10: May 21st, 2018
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.