Bracts flutter in breeze
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun, Partial Shade
- Height/Habit: 60 feet
- Zone: 6-8
- Flowering Date: Spring
We ship this item in Spring
Send me an email when this item is available
Tree •z6-8 •H60'xW20-35' •Spring •Sun-Part Shade
- Season Spring
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameDavidia involucrata
- Ships As2-3' BAREROOT
- Sun ExposureFull Sun, Partial Shade
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread20 - 35 feet
- Spacing30 - 35 feet
- Hardiness Zone6-8
- Flowering DateSpring
- Planting InstructionsPlant in a place where there is enough space to grow high and wide. Prefers a warm place.
- Flower Color:white
- Flower FormInconspicuous blackberry like flowers are covered with 2 striking handkerchief like white flyleaves. One is twice the size of the other: 3 and 6''
- Foliage TypeOval leaves with pointed tips. Edge is dentated
- Soil RequirementMoist well drained soil.
- Pruningas less as possible.
- Additional InformationGenus name honors Abbe Armand David (1826-1900), French missionary in China, 1862-1873, who collected many plants and animals.
- Unique CharactersticsDavidia involucrata, commonly called dove tree, is native to woodlands in central China. is a deciduous tree that typically grows 20-40' tall with a broad pyramidal habit. Red-anthered flowers in rounded clusters bloom in April-May. However the showy parts of the bloom are the large oval-rounded showy white involucre bracts (one 3-4 inches long and the other 6-7 inches long) which subtend each flower cluster. The bracts flutter in the slightest breeze, and, from a distance, purportedly look like white doves sitting in the tree, hence the common name. Flowers are followed by round, greenish-brown, golf ball-sized fruits on 2-3" stems. Toothed, broad oval, red-stalked, bright green leaves (3-6" long) are heart-shaped at the base. Variable fall color ranges from undistinguished dull pastels to bright oranges and reds. Other common names, all in reference to the unique flowers, include handkerchief tree, laundry tree and ghost tree.
- Shipped2-3' BAREROOT
- Height/Habit60 feet
- Growth RateModerate
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2018 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Trees > 24"|
|1A-4B||4/2/18 - 6/22/18|
|5A||3/19/18 - 6/22/18|
|5B-6B||3/5/18 - 6/22/18|
|7A & 7B||2/12/18 - 6/22/18|
|8A-10B||2/12/18 - 5/25/18|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-7: June 18th, 2018
Zones 8-10: May 21st, 2018
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.