Desert Plains Fountain Grass
Considered best in its class
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun
- Height/Habit: 36 - 48 inches
- Zone: 5-9
- Flowering Date: Mid - late summer, persists through the winter
We ship this item in Fall
Send me an email when this item is available
Desert Plains Fountain Grass
Well known for its large size, exceptional hardiness and spectacular fuzzy plumes, this ornamental grass makes a fantastic focal point plant or garden accent. Finely textured blades grow 3-4' tall in full sun and produce loads of fluffy, 5" plumes of tan in mid to late summer. Blooms will persist through the winter for an almost year-round appeal. In fall, the grass turns deep red at the tips with the entire plant changing to shades of orange and gold by season's end. Adds graceful movement and beauty to borders and containers, too. Deer resistant. Zones 5-9. Pennisetum alopecuroides 'Desert Plains'. PP20751
There is a reason why garden designers and landscapers put ornamental grasses in their plans. These vibrant, beautiful plants add texture, interest and variety to any garden or landscape. Plus, they are easy to grow and a snap to maintain. Many grass varieties feature feathery plumes or striking foliage that changes color with the seasons. One of the very best things about ornamental grasses is that they don't disappear after blooming has ended. They continue to evolve throughout the year, providing welcome color and architectural interest to the area. Don't miss out on these fabulous plants.
- Season Fall
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NamePennisetum alopecuroides PRAIRIE WINDS® 'Desert Plains' Pat. #20,751
- Ships As3" POT
- Sun ExposureFull Sun
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread36 - 48 inches
- Spacing36 - 48 inches
- Hardiness Zone5-9
- Flowering DateMid - late summer, persists through the winter
- Planting InstructionsSet at the same level it is at in the container, firm well and water in thoroughly
- Winter CareIf fall planted, provide a mulch around base for the first winter and remove early in spring before growth starts
- Flower Color:white
- Flower Form3" - 4" fluffy plume
- Foliage TypeLong narrow ribbon-like, forming a handsome cascading mound of dark green, turning russet gold in fall
- Soil RequirementWell drained garden soil, quite adaptable to a wide range of soil types except wet
- PruningNone, except to cutback the whole plant Very early spring before new growth starts
- Unique CharactersticsThis large fountain grass makes a great focal point in a sunny landscape. It is easy to grow as long as full sun is provided. Many consider it to be the best hardy Pennisetum available today. 'Desert Plains' is a seedling of 'Cassian' discovered by Gary Trucks of Amber Wave Gardens in West Michigan. It has an improved habit, flowering performance, and fall color, over 'Cassian' and 'Hameln'. The finely textured, narrow, green leaves form a beautiful upright vase-shaped clump. Beginning in midsummer, the tips of the foliage begin to turn deep red and the entire clump transitions to shades of orange and gold in fall. Showy 5" bottlebrush plumes held above the foliage emerge smoky purple and age to tan. Ornamental Grasses of the PRAIRIE WINDS® Collection add graceful texture and movement to the garden. These varieties thrive in full sun growing conditions and are proven deer resistant.
- Shipped3" POT
- Height/Habit36 - 48 inches
- Growth RateModerate to slow once established, which takes approximately 4 - 6 weeks
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2017 Fall Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials, Bulbs & Potted Plants|
|1A-2B||9/5/2017 – 11/3/2017|
|3A-10B||9/5/2017 - 11/17/2017|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-2: 10/30/2017
Zones 3-10: 11/13/2017
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.