Dark Knight Bluebeard
Shrub •Z5-9 •H18-24"x18-24" •Summer •Sun
- Season Spring
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameCaryopteris clandonensis 'Dark Knight'
- Ships As4" POT
- Sun ExposureFull Sun
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread18 - 24 inches
- Spacing18 - 24 inches
- Hardiness Zone5-9
- Flowering DateAll summer
- Planting InstructionsSet at same level it is growing at in the container. Water weekly the first season.
- Winter CareIn northern climates, after heavy frost, apply deep, loose mulch.
- Flower Color:blue
- Flower FormDense clusters of very small, fluffy blue flowers whorled around the stem ends.
- Foliage TypeDeciduous, gray-green, lanceolate leaves, new growth is silvery.
- Soil RequirementFertile, well drained garden loam.
- Unique CharactersticsMissouri Botanical Garden: Caryopteris x clandonensis, commonly called bluebeard, blue spirea or blue mist, is a low-mounded, deciduous shrub that is valued for its aromatic foliage and late summer flowers which are said to resemble clouds of blue smoke or mist. Clandonensis hybrids typically produce about 18-30" of growth per year, so total shrub height (usually from 2-3') depends in large part upon the extent of winter dieback and/or the annual spring pruning. Flowers are very attractive to butterflies, bees and other beneficial insects. Foliage is aromatic when brushed with a hand.Genus name comes from the Greek words karyon meaning a nut and pteron meaning a wing for the winged fruit.'Dark Knight' features a profuse, shrub-covering bloom of fragrant, deep bluish-purple flowers in terminal and axillary clusters (cymes) from late summer into fall. Ovate to lance-shaped, dull green leaves (to 1.5" long) are silvery below. May be found sold under that name 'Black Knight'.
- Shipped4" POT
- Height/Habit18 - 24 inches
- Growth RateModerately to fast
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2018 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials & Potted Plants|
|1A-4B||4/30/18 - 6/8/18|
|5A-6B||4/30/18 - 6/22/18|
|7A & 7B||4/2/18 - 6/22/18|
|8A & 8B||2/19/18 - 5/25/18|
|9A - 10B||2/12/18 - 5/25/18|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-4: June 4th, 2018
Zones 5-7: June 18th, 2018
Zones 8-10: May 21st, 2018
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.