- Sun Exposure: Full Shade, Partial Shade
- Height/Habit: 12 - 24 inches
- Zone: 3-9
- Flowering Date: Spring
We ship this item in Spring
Send me an email when this item is available
- Season Spring
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameMertensia virginica
- Common NameVirginia Bluebells
- Sun ExposureFull Shade, Partial Shade
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread8 - 10 inches
- Spacing8 - 10 inches
- Hardiness Zone3-9
- Flowering DateSpring
- Planting InstructionsLight dappled shade.
- Flower Color:blue
- Flower FormNodding clusters of trumpet-shaped 1" long flowers.
- Foliage TypeUpright, rigid stems bear elliptic to obovate leaves up to 6" in length.
- Soil RequirementMoist, humus-rich soil is best.
- Additional InformationSelf seeds under favorable conditions.
- Unique CharactersticsOne of the best-loved natives and one of the first signs of spring. Sky-blue flower clusters arise from the axils of the leaves and stem. This woodlander looks especially attractive planted next to ferns. The ferns can do double duty by filling in when the Virginia Bluebells dieback during the hot summer days.
- Height/Habit12 - 24 inches
- Growth RateModerate
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2017 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||All Other Perennials & Potted Plants|
|1A-4B||5/1/17 - 6/23/17|
|5A||5/1/17 - 6/23/17|
|5B||5/1/17 - 6/23/17|
|6A||5/1/17 - 6/23/17|
|6B||5/1/17 - 6/23/17|
|7A & 7B||4/3/17 - 6/23/17|
|8A & 8B||2/20/17 - 5/26/17|
|9A - 10B||2/13/17 - 5/26/17|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-7: June 19th, 2017
Zones 8-10: May 22nd, 2017
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.