Blue Sea Holly
We have assembled some of our best selling Perennials that butterflies love and have put them in this assortment below. All of the varieties on this page attract butterflies. You can buy the complete garden or the individual item that fits your need. You will find plants in all sizes and colors.
Light: Full sun to partial shade
Bloom Time: Early Summer-Early Fall
Size: No. 1 size roots
Zone: 4 to 7
- Season Spring
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameEryngium alpinum
- Ships AsNO. 1 BAREROOT
- Sun ExposureFull Sun
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread18 - 24 inches
- Spacing18 - 22 inches
- Hardiness Zone4-10
- Flowering DateSummer.
- Planting InstructionsDig a hole large enough to accommodate the roots without bending them. Plant just below soil, 24 iches apart. Plant firmly and water in thoroughly. If potted, plant same depth as in pot.
- Winter CareProtect from excessive winter moisture (standing water).
- Flower Color:blue
- Flower FormThe 1 1/2" pineapple-like heads are subtended by several ruffs of delicate, pinnetely cut, steel blue bracts.
- Foliage TypeLower leaves heart-shaped, up to 6" long with margins covered in spiny teeth. Stem leaves palmately lobed, tinged with blue.
- Soil RequirementWell drained, open soil
- PruningNone, except to cut back spent flower stems After flowering
- Additional InformationThis has an extended bloom time as the side branches produce abundant, albeit smaller flowers. These, along with the terminal flower forms an open, broad conical flowering head.
- Unique CharactersticsFronds are shaped like tail feathers of a bird. Nice, rich green accent for a shaded garden or background to other low growing shade perennials. Add some fronds to a cut flower arrangement for a rich green accent.
- ShippedNO. 1 BAREROOT
- Height/Habit24 - 30 inches
- Growth RateModerate once established, which takes approximately 4 - 6 weeks
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2018 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials & Potted Plants|
|1A-4B||4/30/18 - 6/8/18|
|5A-6B||4/30/18 - 6/22/18|
|7A & 7B||4/2/18 - 6/22/18|
|8A & 8B||2/19/18 - 5/25/18|
|9A - 10B||2/12/18 - 5/25/18|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-4: June 4th, 2018
Zones 5-7: June 18th, 2018
Zones 8-10: May 21st, 2018
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.