Blue Cardinal Flower
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun, Partial Shade
- Height/Habit: 24 - 30 inches
- Zone: 3-9
- Flowering Date: Mid to late summer.
We ship this item in Spring
Send me an email when this item is available
Blue Cardinal Flower
- Season Spring
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameLobelia siphilitica
- Ships As2" POT
- Sun ExposureFull Sun, Partial Shade
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread12 - 18 inches
- Spacing12 - 18 inches
- Hardiness Zone3-9
- Flowering DateMid to late summer.
- Planting InstructionsLikes a moist soil condition and will even tolerate clay soils. But does not do well in conditions were the soil can get overly dry. Humidity tolerant.
- Winter CareNone special.
- Flower Color:blue
- Flower FormTerminal spike with tubular, 2-lipped flowers.
- Foliage TypeLance-shaped slightly toothed.
- Soil RequirementMoist soil conditions but will not tolerate overly dry soils.
- PruningCut back spent flower stems.
- Additional InformationNorthern gardeners can plant this in full sun for best flowering while southern gardeners should give this plant half day shade.
- Unique CharactersticsStriking blue-purple flower spikes that are especially attractive to hummingbirds. The late season blooming time is especially attactive to those birds and butterflies heading south for the winter that is soon approaching. Good upright growth habit, first year flowering and use as a cut flower make this perennial a must have for any gardener.
- Shipped2" POT
- Height/Habit24 - 30 inches
- Growth RateFast once established.
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2018 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials & Potted Plants|
|1A-4B||4/30/18 - 6/8/18|
|5A-6B||4/30/18 - 6/22/18|
|7A & 7B||4/2/18 - 6/22/18|
|8A & 8B||2/19/18 - 5/25/18|
|9A - 10B||2/12/18 - 5/25/18|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-4: June 4th, 2018
Zones 5-7: June 18th, 2018
Zones 8-10: May 21st, 2018
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.