Black Lace Elderberry
Attracts birds and butterflies
- Sun Exposure: Full Sun, Partial Shade
- Height/Habit: 6 - 8 feet
- Zone: 4-7
- Flowering Date: Early summer
We ship this item in Spring
Black Lace Elderberry
- Season Spring
- Unit of Measure1
- Botanical NameSambucus nigra 'Eva' PP#15,575
- Ships As4" POT
- Sun ExposureFull Sun, Partial Shade
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread6 - 8 feet
- Spacing6 - 8 feet
- Hardiness Zone4-7
- Flowering DateEarly summer
- Planting InstructionsLeaf color is best planted in full sun.
- Winter CareNone special.
- Flower Color:pink
- Flower FormFlat umbel-like cymes up to 8" across made up of dozens of tiny star-like flowers.
- Foliage TypePinnate, usually 5 leaflets with serrated edges. Young foliage starts out pale green with a hint of purple before turning a dark purple.
- Soil RequirementMoist, well drained soil.
- PruningCan spread by suckering, remove to control growth, also prune to almost ground level in late fall to keep in nice shape and size. Late fall or early spring.
- Additional InformationAccording to the Humane Society of America, elderberry can be toxic to pets if consumed.
- Unique CharactersticsPW: Intense purple black foliage is finely cut like lace, giving it an effect similar to that of Japanese maple. Indeed, some designers are using it in place of more sensitive plants since Black Lace is extremely durable and adaptable. Pink flowers in early summer contrast with the dark leaves for a stunning effect and give way to black berries if a compatible pollinator is planted nearby. This beautiful, versatile shrub works in just about any landscape setting or as a potted shrub on the patio. Good in groupings or masses, or perennial and shrub borders. Makes a nice specimen or screen. Good in wet soils. The color on Black Lace elderberry is best in cool climates; in hot areas, it may grow primarily green foliage.
- Shipped4" POT
- Height/Habit6 - 8 feet
- Growth RateModerate to fast.
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2018 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials & Potted Plants|
|1A-4B||4/30/18 - 6/8/18|
|5A-6B||4/30/18 - 6/22/18|
|7A & 7B||4/2/18 - 6/22/18|
|8A & 8B||2/19/18 - 5/25/18|
|9A - 10B||2/12/18 - 5/25/18|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-4: June 4th, 2018
Zones 5-7: June 18th, 2018
Zones 8-10: May 21st, 2018
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.