Award Winning Hosta Collection
Includes 5 American Hosta Growers Association award winners!
- Sun Exposure: Full Shade, Partial Shade
- Height/Habit: 12 - 36 inches
- Zone: 3-9
- Flowering Date: Mid to late summer
We ship this item in Spring
Award Winning Hosta Collection
Liberty—2012 Winner: A large hosta with dramatic variegated leaves. Its wide margins change from yellow in early season to creamy white by mid season. Lavender flowers bloom above the foliage in midsummer. Grows 26" tall with a 63" spread.
Sum and Substance—2004 Winner: One of the largest hosta cultivars! Has immense, glossy textured, light green to chartreuse to gold leaves. Lavender flowers bloom above foliage in August. Slug resistant. Grows 31" tall with a 70" spread.
First Frost—2010 Winner: Combines striking, long-lasting foliage and slug resistance. A sport of the all-blue Halcyon, First Frost has thick blue leaves accented with creamy white edges.
Brother Stefan—2017 Winner: Thick, heavily grooved and ribbed leaves of brilliant green are highlighted by vivid gold centers. In spring, the plants appear more bluish with chartreuse centers, creating a completely different look. Late spring to early summer brings sprays of near-white blooms that hover just above the leaves and attract pollinators.
Guacamole—2002 Winner: Combines good sun tolerance, rapid growth and beautiful foliage. Shiny, large, chartreuse leaves are margined by a wide green edge. Large, fragrant, pale lavender flowers open in August. Grows 24" tall with a 54" spread.
- Season Spring
- Unit of Measure5
- Botanical NameHosta
- Ships AsBAREROOT
- Sun ExposureFull Shade, Partial Shade
- State RestrictionsAE AK GU HI PR
- Spread5 - 6 feet
- Spacing5 - 6 feet
- Hardiness Zone3-9
- Flowering DateMid to late summer
- Planting InstructionsVery shade tolerant plants that enjoy moist, humus-rich soil. Morning sun with afternoon shade is the best location.
- Winter CareNone, except to mulch for the first winter. Remove promptly in early spring.
- Flower Color:blue, purple, white, mixed
- Flower FormBell-shaped flowers on scapes.
- Foliage TypeLarge, broad leaves in shades of light green, dark green, blue, and variegated
- Soil RequirementTolerant of a wide range of soils, but best if evenly moist and well-drained.
- PruningRemove spent flower stems to tidy up the plants for the rest of the growing season. After flowering.
- Additional InformationCollection includes: Liberty Hosta, Sum and Substance Hosta, First Frost Hosta, Brother Stefan Hosta, Guacamole Hosta
- Height/Habit12 - 36 inches
- Growth RateModerate
When will my order ship?
Orders for in-stock seeds, general merchandise and gift certificates are typically shipped within 5 business days.
Plants will be shipped at the proper planting time for your area of the country during the shipping time frames outlined below:
*Due to hot weather conditions, we are unable to ship most plant items July through August.
|2018 Spring Shipping Schedule|
|Zone||Perennials & Potted Plants|
|1A-4B||4/30/18 - 6/8/18|
|5A-6B||4/30/18 - 6/22/18|
|7A & 7B||4/2/18 - 6/22/18|
|8A & 8B||2/19/18 - 5/25/18|
|9A - 10B||2/12/18 - 5/25/18|
|Last Order Date||Zones 1-4: June 4th, 2018
Zones 5-7: June 18th, 2018
Zones 8-10: May 21st, 2018
The type of product you order or the weather in our area or yours may affect the anticipated shipping schedule.
Based on the contents of your order we always strive to ship your order complete, and as early as possible. Large orders may be shipped in more than one package.
Bare-root perennials, trees and shrubs are kept in the nursery row until full dormant. This promotes optimum transit conditions and success in your garden. In the Fall, these plants tend to arrive at the later end of the shipping window.
In all cases, we choose the fastest, most efficient way to send your order.
For trees and other oversize items, we do not ship to PO boxes and it will be delivered via FedEx Home delivery.
After you place your order, you will receive an email confirmation with the details of your order and a delivery estimate.
You will also receive an email notification when your order ships with an updated arrival estimate.
At any time after you place your order you can check your order status on our website using your email or the account number found in your order confirmation email.
Please note that we cannot ship outside of the 48 contiguous states.